Thursday, March 5, 2009

Writing Prompt -- Something Fun

March 5, 2009

The sun is shining and I've had enough teenage angst for the week. Feel free to continue filling your cups with tear water tea the way Owl does in Owl At Home by Arnold Lobel, if you want, but have fun doing it. No matter what age group you write for, this prompt will force you to think in a different way, but I suspect that picture book folk will have the most fun. Ready? Here we go. . .

Today write a descriptive piece that shows an emotion--a short short paragraph will do--but use your opposite hand. If you're right-handed, use your left, if you're a lefty, use your right. It doesn't matter if the letters are shaky or kind of BIG or all over the place. Pay attention. Does your writing start to drift off in unexpected directions? Allow yourself to go where your hand and mind lead you. Enjoy the adventure. It may take you some place new.

In case your engines don't want to turn over this morning--it's only about 2 degrees out there--here's something to get you started. Begin with a line that could be about spring coming, but not necessarily: I hear the ice melting. . . What word picture can you conjure with language, what emotion? As always, have fun!

1 comment:

  1. Clara, your prompt. I hear the ice melting. Can you hear the ice cracking and groaning?
    I could from some where in my recollections.
    I am having fun reading through your blog.
    Do you always start your day so early?
    Anyway am finding your prompts very enlightening, even if I never write.

    ReplyDelete