Friday, February 6, 2009

February 6, 2009 Thought for the morning

A quote from Mark Twain:
"The difference between the right word and the almost-right word is the difference between lightning and a lightning bug."

It's easy enough to laugh at his hyperbole, but what he says is true. So many times I find myself struggling for the right word and end up leaving a blank on the page. If the right word doesn't come after several attempts to tease it out of my brain, then there is nothing to be done but leave a blank and keep going. The word will pop into my head at a later time. Or I may write in the margin: "say better" marking a place in the text that doesn't have the right sound or the right words. I trust my sub-conscious to give me something better once the draft has cooled and I go back to it with a fresh eye.

No comments:

Post a Comment