Friday, February 13, 2009

February 13, 2009 Thought for the day.

Here's a good quote from the poet John Keats:
"I looked out the window and saw a sparrow and I became the sparrow. I saw a piece of straw and I became the straw."

Today become something other than yourself. Here in Northeast Pennsylvania it's a windy March day. Today I will watch how the wind blows and listen for its voice. What does the wind say? In my book, Hill Hawk Hattie, she hears the wind in March: "Outside [their cabin in the hemlock woods] it started to snow, the wind swirling clouds of white stuff against the cabin window, howling that winter was not about to leave any too soon."

Today, I, the wind, bluster around houses and shake the boughs of spruce trees, Wake up! Wake up! I shout. My breath scatters the clouds across the blue winter sky, but beneath my howl, I whisper of spring, of daffodils in labor, pushing out new green life from the womb of earth, of new life coming. Listen!

No comments:

Post a Comment