Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Writing Prompt

Tuesday, March 17, 2009 "Happy St. Patrick's Day"

March begins a new sort of "noisy" season with the song birds, the ducks and geese flying in from their winter homes in the south. My heart soars, too, when I see them winging over or darting from tree to tree. Their trilling, honking, quacking is joyful. There are other sounds, too--the oozing and mucking sound of mud as the ground thaws. The sound of water--the drip drop, plop, the slush sound as the snowbanks soften and cave in, the gushing sound of water in swollen streams.

I'm always saying, "Don't forget to use your senses," so let's listen for the sounds around us for a few days. But our SOUND today must be an onomatopoeia. Whenever I think of this word, those old elves from tv spring into action in my mind. I don't know if they're still on tv, but I'm sure you all know who I mean. That's right: Snap! Crackle! Pop! our Rice Krispies heroes. That's just to get you started. See how many you can discover in the course of the day. Tomorrow we'll do something special with your lively lists of onomatopoetic words.

No comments:

Post a Comment