Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Writing prompt -- sort of

August 6, 2009 Summery whimsy

Deadlines, schedules, appointments, housework, Facebook, Twitter, e-mail, video games, t.v. Who has time to write? Read? Go for a walk? No one. We have to make the time to write or read or go for a walk, which probably means cutting out other things that we enjoy.

So here's a short writing assignment. Keep track of how you spend your time. Can you shave off a few minutes from Facebook time? E-mail or phone talk time? What things can you change to make more time to write? Make a place to write, too. Claim it. "This is my place to write."

Starting today, make your writing goal happen: "I will spend 20 minutes every day working on my book." Then sign your name. Or you can do what I do and set a certain number of pages as your goal. Showing up is 90% of the job. Story develops while you're writing. I'm off to draft some new pages of my own. Little by little the pages pile up; the book gets written.

1 comment:

  1. Good idea! Although the time it would take me to find a clean sheet of paper would waste most of the time it would take to write my goal down. :) My deadline is ticking down, so off I go again.

    ReplyDelete