Thursday, January 22, 2009

January 22, 2009 Books on the Craft of Writing

Here's a partial list of books on the writing craft that I promised was coming today!

1) On Writing by Stephen King. A memoir of sorts, but the last half of the book is where the meat on writing is found, and it's worth the read for any writer.
2) Writing Magic: Creating Stories that Fly by Gail Carson Levine. This is an excellent book, especially for aspiring young writers.
3) The Writer's Journey: Mythic Structure for Storytellers & Screenwriters by Christopher Vogler. A good book for plotting the coming of age story structure that is used in such films as "Star Wars" series or "The Wizard of Oz."
3) From Where You Dream by Robert Olen Butler. Excellent for the serious novelist.
4) Writing and Selling The Young Adult Novel by K.L.Going. If you're interested in writing for this age group, this book by an award winning author of YA, should be on your shelf.
5) Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott is excellent for a writer's survival. Inspires, motivates, as well as packing a wallop of humor.
6) Reading Like a Writer by Francine Prose. A better reader makes a better writer, and this book will give you an edge.
7) The Artist's Way: A Spiritual Path to Higher Creativity by Julia Cameron. Good for blocked writing and good for writers just getting started. It is a course in discovering and recovering your creative self.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Clara.....Thank you so very much for all your help, insight, resources, encouragement!! I took the big step and signed up for the writing class. It's called "Memoirs and Other Fiction." I love the title of the class, it just called out to me. :)

    Monday is my first class and I'm so excited I couldn't sleep after I registered - I have all these titles of articles (for want of a better word) rattling around in my brain. I'm looking forward to meeting the beginner and intermediate students, to find out what topics we'll be asked to write, and welcome their critique.

    Thanks, again, for your encouragement. I'm going to get a couple of the books you suggested. Will keep you posted!!
    Joan

    ReplyDelete